A Hero's Breakfast
Promote healthy breakfast choices by hosting a monthly “hero’s breakfast” for invited community heroes or celebrities, such as firefighters, policemen, good Samaritans, sports figures or other personalities. Encourage more students in your school to enjoy breakfast regularly and get a good start in the morning!
This Play may help you meet the goals of the USDA's HealthierUS School Challenge!
How Does It Work?
This is a strategy you can try once a month, or once a week, to get students more aware of the importance of breakfast.
The following steps are suggestions for how to complete the Play — but they can be done in any order or combination and can be altered to fit your needs. If you find ways to adapt this Play to fit your school, share it with us through the Tips section!
Identify the best day of the month to host a community breakfast. For example, space might be available on the second Monday of each month.
- Identify local heroes and celebrities in your community. Create an invitation that will be sent to breakfast invitees. Keep in mind that many invitees will need plenty of notice in order to attend, so you’ll want to line up your guests several months in advance.
- In your invitation, ask invitees to share their favorite healthy breakfast choices with the community. In advance, provide heroes with brief information about the program’s goals, what is being served at the breakfast and why these foods are healthy choices.
What’s on the Menu?
- Working with your school nutrition professionals, prepare a breakfast menu that includes a variety of delicious and nutritious choices, including low-fat and fat-free dairy foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean protein foods. Local grocery stores or school food vendors might be willing to provide food samples and ideas.
- Check out the Tools and Resources below for ideas on getting help from the community and local businesses, as well as information sheets you can share.
Keep It Going
- Highlight your “hero’s” healthy breakfast choices on your school's menu.
- Host your “hero’s” healthy breakfast on a monthly basis.
Spread the Word
Promote the breakfast event to students and school staff. The goal of this program is to encourage more students to enjoy a well-balanced, nutrient-rich breakfast, so advertise the event with posters, flyers and announcements.
Get Others Involved
- Select the best day to hold a monthly breakfast event
- Identify and invite local heroes and celebrities
- Create invitations
- Provide input on the breakfast menu, working with school nutrition professionals
- Solicit community donations
- Prepare and distribute handouts
- Promote the event among students and staff
Did You Know?
Working with your community can extend beyond this Play. Consider hosting a community health fair. Set up games and activities and invite local firefighters, police, and other community heroes to participate. Take pictures and video and create a presentation highlighting how local heroes can also be health heroes.